Hot Yoga Training – Level II
8-20 December, 2013 – 100hr Yoga Alliance Course for Yoga Teachers
Are You Ready to Take Your Hot Yoga Teaching Career to theNext Level?
If you’re looking to advance your Hot Yoga teaching and your career, then I’d like to introduce you to the first-ever Level II, Hot Yoga Teacher Training.
This course helps you go beyond basics, beyond scripted classes, and allows you to find your true teaching voice and unique style.
- Be a Student Again – ask questions, get answers, connect with like-minded colleagues, and learn from teachers who have more experience and advanced teaching careers than you.
- Gain Perspective – finally, you’ll have time to think and reflect on what exactly you are doing as a yoga teacher; and more importantly, what you hope to do in the future.
- Network & Connect – if you’re a working yoga teacher, you probably meet lots of yoga students, but you probably have very little time to connect and mastermind with other teachers. This course allows you to meet people on the same path you’re on, and the relationships and connections you make can last for many years to come. Teaching opportunities, collaborations, and even business opportunities occur regularly at these courses.
- Deepen Your Practice – one of the biggest challenges that busy teachers face (but rarely talk about) is maintaining their personal practice. Most teachers gradually practice less and less; and some find themselves unable to motivate themselves to practice at all.
When your practice is stalled, your teaching will stall too—I guarantee it. So during this course, you get to dedicate time just for you and your practice again, to rekindle your passion for the things that got you so excited about yoga in the first place.
- Earn More Money – the highest paid yoga teachers tend to have the most education and formal training. Your hourly rate can go up substantially, and you can begin to lead workshops, retreats, and even teacher trainings yourself the more training you have. All of these advanced teaching positions offer a huge financial opportunity for teachers.
Why Advanced Training Makes Sense…
But here’s the thing…
After you’ve mastered the basics; after you can go out and teach good public class, that’s when you really begin to learn the art of teaching. The art of teaching is when you move beyond your foundational, scripted class, and start to bring your own experiences and your own personality into your teaching.
This is not easy and it doesn’t happen overnight—but it does happen! And a good teacher and a strong peer group will dramatically accelerate your learning.
Here’s What You’ll Learn:
- How to find your own unique voice and style
(no more need for dialog or scripted classes)
- How to structure your classes based on your students
- How to teach 60, 75, 90 or even 120 minute classes
- How to teach private yoga classes
- How to structure workshops and retreats
- Advanced hot yoga anatomy
- Business skills for hot yoga teachers
- How to teach in non-heated studios
- How to incorporate inversions, arm and core strength poses into hot classes
Do I Need a Level II Training?
If you are able to teach a good class now—that’s great. The truth is, you don’t need a decade of practice and thousands of hours of experience to teach a good class. Many of our recent grads teach fantastic classes…
… but there comes a point very quickly when you ask yourself, “What’s next?”
As they say, “When you’re green your grow and when you’re ripe you rot!” And many, many Hot Yoga teachers reach a point where they’re not learning anything new at all. They’ve lost the enthusiasm they had when they first started teaching, but they still love the practice and want to reignite the fire.
So what do you do?
- If you’re teaching classes, and it feels more like "going through the motions" than actually teaching…
- If you find yourself using language you’ve heard other people say in class—rather than your own…
- If you love yoga and feel like you have so much to give and share—but you’re not sure exactly how to bring "you" into class…
- And if you’re really excited about growing and developing as a career teacher, as someone who creates magnetic classes and has a huge impact on the lives of their students…
A “Day in the Life” of a Teacher Trainee.
This yoga teacher training course is a lot of fun, but it would be a mistake to think of it like a holiday. Your days will be filled with yoga practice, posture clinics, practice teaching, and training drills. There are guest lectures, yoga films, anatomy sessions, and so much more.
Here’s what your day will look like…
Wake up early, take in the sunrise and the sea view, and then meet at the yoga studio. On training days, you’ll practice yoga first thing each morning at 7 a.m. The yoga practice sessions are for you to learn and experiences the poses in your body (not just your mind).
If you’ve been teaching a lot, it’s such a nice feeling to get up and just go to class and be a student again.
After the morning class, you’ll have a lovely breakfast with fresh fruit, homemade toast, tea, and juice. Shortly thereafter, you’ll have a morning workshop held in our airy and naturally lit studios overlooking the pool or the sea.
The schedule varies dramatically day-to-day, but you’ll have yoga anatomy sessions, public speaking, yoga business, and sequences sessions.
Lunch is at 1 p.m. The food is healthy and delicious, prepared by our exceptional team of cooks who have now been keeping yoga students healthy and fit for nearly 6 years straight.
After lunch, you’ll have some time to relax by the pool, get a massage, or take a nap before it’s back to work with presentations and hands-on practice sessions that address the more advanced teaching skills you’ll need to be an outstanding teacher.
Most days, there is a second class, and then it’s back
The training day finishes after dinner with an evening gathering just before 9 p.m.—and then it’s bedtime. Trust me, you’ll be tired. Now that’s a day well spent!
Meet the Teachers
Tomasz Goetel (director)
Tomasz originally trained under Jimmy Barkan, one of the most respected Hot Yoga teachers in the world, and he has developed his own unique approach to practice and teaching after years on the mat and leading public classes, trainings and workshops.
Tomasz is well-known for his passionate, inspirational approach, and the light-hearted sense of humor. On top of that, he has a strong, personal yoga practice and freely shares his abilities.
Tomasz is a people person and loves to connect 1-on-1 with each student. His Hot Yoga classes are infused with classic Hot Yoga poses, vinyasa movements, variations and modifications for all levels, beginners through advanced.
Through various training programs, workshops, and personal coaching, he shares his unique insight into the art of teaching yoga. The teacher trainings and workshops are centered around Tomasz’s own unique methodology, the ‘Modern Yogi’ development and improvement: body language, communication skills, developing attention, empathy, social skills, self-awareness and self-regulation. Since 2005, Tomasz has been helping Yoga Teachers further their confidence and broaden their methodology.
Tomasz has mostly been his own best teacher, but when inspiration is needed, he looks up to Sri Paramahansa Yogananda, Eckhart Tolle, G.I. Gurdjieff, and the ancient Persian poet, Rumi.
Christian Almeida (anatomy)
As a teacher trainer, Chris finds it most rewarding to see teachers achieve their own health goals first, and then to bring their increased knowledge out in to the world through their teaching.
As a teacher trainer, Chris loves to help teachers add a depth of understanding to their teaching by incorporating applied anatomical principles to their classes.
For teachers, Chris sees the biggest challenge is to balance the science of body and the teachings of yoga; listening to the body to prevent injuries but at the same time believing in what the body can do to maximize its potential.
Akash Karia (public speaking)
Yoga teachers have to play many roles—the coach, the spiritual guide, the counselor—and the fundamental skill needed for ALL your roles as a yoga teacher is the ability to lead and speak with authority.
Yoga teachers often fall into patterns that distract students… maybe you wring your hands while you’re speaking, maybe you repeat the same words over and over, or maybe you need to work on your projection or articulation.
In this module, you’ll work with Akash Karia who is an award-winning speaker and public speaking and leadership trainer. Through mock classes, practice drills, and peer evaluation, Akash will help you become a more powerful teacher, almost immediately.
- How to use your voice to increase the energy or calm the room
- How to use your own physicality to clearly convey your message
- How to keep your speaking voice natural, interesting, and fresh
- How to use humor and stone-cold seriousness when appropriate
- How to clean up your personal ticks and habits that might be detracting from the effectiveness of your classes
Rachel Tsai (history/philosophy)
Currently her principle teacher is Richard Freeman with whom she studies yearly and has completed the month-long teacher intensive in Boulder Colorado. She has made multiple trips to Mysore, India to study Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga with the late great teacher Sri K Pattabhi Jois and his grandson Sharath Rangaswamy. Apart from being dedicated to the Ashtanga lineage and practice, she also continues to broaden her study of yoga by immersing in the B.K.S Iyengar tradition with senior teachers in the lineage.
She completed the studies of Ayurveda and Yoga (Therapy) with Wellpark College of Natural Therapies in New Zealand and has also done extensive internship of herbal studies in Vrindaban, India at the Dhanvatari Dham Herbal Research Centre.
She is currently completing her dissertation of the MA program in Traditions of Yoga and Meditation with School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) of University of London.
YogaAlliance RYT 500 Hrs
Diploma Ayurveda Lifestyle Management, New Zealand
Diploma Yoga, New Zealand
M.B.A The Claremont Graduate School, California, USA
How Do I Know if I’m Ready for This?
There are some teachers who have just completed their level I course, and others who have been teaching for over 10 years. To answer the question, “Are you ready?” you need only ask yourself how passionate and excited you are about yoga.
Truthfully, you’ll always be learning and growing as a teacher. That never changes. 5 years from now, you’ll be a stronger teacher—no doubt. But the best time to learn and grow as a teacher is when you are most passionate and excited to do so. In many cases, if you try to wait until you feel 100% ready, you’ll never feel 100% ready—so if you’re excited and eager to join now, now is probably the best time.
Do I Have to Do Really Advanced Poses?
This course is about advanced teaching, not about advanced yoga. There will be intermediate and advanced poses and sequences introduced so you can add that to your teaching portfolio if and when you’re ready, but advanced poses is not in any way the of this course.
90% of your students will always be beginners, this is true of every yoga teacher all over the world. So the important thing is that you
Facilities, Rooms & Food…
If you’ve never been to Koh Samui in Thailand, you’re in for a wonderful surprise. Absolute Sanctuary is located on a quiet hillside overlooking the sea. We have a health food restaurant called, The Love Kitchen, a DVD lecture room, a detox center, a spa, and a 2 bright practice studios with hardwood floors.
After a long day, you’ll sleep like a baby. Your room is just up the hill from the studio with air conditioning, hot water, and a flat-screen TV. We encourage trainees to enjoy Absolute Sanctuary’s swimming pool, steam room, and spa which are all a great way to unwind after practice.
Let’s take a closer look…
The Yoga Studios
- Hardwood floor studio
- State-of-the-art heating & cooling systems
- Showers, lockers, changing rooms
- Bright, breezy practice space
- Excellent natural light and green hillside views
- 3 group meals daily
(included in course fees)
- Group menu includes: fruits, homemade breads, burritos, stir fries, rice, noodles, Italian, Thai, American, and Mexican food
- Additional food, snacks, and beverages can be purchased at any time from The Love Kitchen
- Quiet location with an infinity pool and full spa
- Outdoor gazebo (some sessions held here)
- TV, air-con, hot shower rooms,
- Shared room (private rooms available for extra charge)
The day-to-day focus chagnes dramatically. Unliked your level I teacher training where you built up toward your final exam and your final test teaching, this course is modular and focuses on one specific skill set at a time, and then you move on, and add on to what you’ve learned.
About Your Certification
Everyone who successfully completes the course will receive a Yoga Alliance 100hr teaching certificate. Yoga Alliance is the largest accreditation board in the world, and the 200hr level is the standard level of certification for 98% of teachers. Your certificaiton is your own and you are free to teach in studios, health center, gyms, and privately.
NOTE: if you are a RYT-200, this course counts as your required 100hr continuing education credits.
Learn More About Our Accreditation
Welcome Gift #1: Free Yoga Mat
You’ll also receive a free yoga mat (yours to keep) so you don’t have to bring yours on the flight!
Welcome Gift #2: Spa Gift Certificate
(500 THB toward anything)
Receive a 500 THB gift certificate valid for any spa service, minimum cost of 1500 THB (or higher). Can be used for Thai Massage, foot massage, facials, or even colonic treatments.
Welcome Gift #3: VIP Training Pass, 20% Off
As an Absolute Yoga graduate, you’ll be given 20% off any additional trainings within a full 2 years of graduation…this includes retreats, workshop, advanced courses, and more!
What Students Are Staying…
~ Edan, Thailand
~ Amy, The United Kingdom
~ Yahnee, Singapore
~ Corinne, USA
~ Anna, Sweden
~ Kay, Scotland
Thanks for your interest, and we hope you can join us!
Absolute Yoga Academy
p.s. This course is designed for a maximum of 25 students, so if you are interested, please do apply early to reserve your spot. APPLY NOW!